Monday, June 27, 2011

Music snobbery

Whenever I'm cooking or otherwise puttering around the house alone, I'll open Windows media player and click "play favorites from songs." Today it pulled an unusually high number of Death Cab for Cutie songs, which I don't exactly object to. But it reminded me of something that happened several years ago, when I was single-ish. (Hard to be single when someone is stringing you along, jerking your chain. "Can I say that to a woman? Jerking your chain?") Anyway, the person I was kind of dating was something of a music aficionado, but tended to prefer the more obscure or indie artists. I suggested to him that he might like Death Cab (not particularly obscure or indie, but kind of in the same vein) and he told me, "No, I don't really like them." Okay, whatever.

Well, months later, he says, "Hey, you know who I just discovered? Death Cab for Cutie." Dude, I told you about them months ago. "No you didn't." Right, sure I didn't. I dreamed the whole conversation. No, not really. He just had to "discover" them himself, because surely my plebeian opinions could never be useful to him.

I guess what really bothered me was to be dismissed with "I don't really like them" when he actually hadn't even listened to much of their music. He couldn't just say, "Oh, I'll have to check them out." But my opinion mattered so little that it was dismissed out of hand? No wonder why it didn't work out.

1 comment:

  1. Boys are weird. I've tried to be understanding and give lots of explanations and benefits of the doubt, but it just is. They're weird.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.