Monday, June 13, 2011

Little fishies

We are renting a condo, which has several pools for the use of residents and their guests. And yet the other day, my husband saw our landlord and her children in the pool. Now, you could argue that as the owner of several units, she has the right to use the pool, but I would say that she has transferred her pool privileges (so to speak) to the renters.

What really irks me, though, is that when we moved in and asked about keys to the mailbox and pool, she said she didn't have them, but she was sure the front office could get us one for like, five dollars. Actually, it cost us forty dollars to get those keys, which she had no intention of reimbursing us for. She also only provided one house key. She said she'd drop off additional keys, but when we asked about it, she told us, "Can't you just have a key made?" Well, yes. But the point is that you have keys. You said you would bring us keys. And frankly, it's a reasonable assumption that a landlord will provide at least two keys, especially when there are two residents. I provided three, so they could have a spare somewhere.

Add in that she won't repair the washer and dryer should something happen (although Arizona state law says the landlord has to maintain the appliances, so I'm not sure if she can even have that provision in the lease) and you've got a lazy, cheap, lousy landlord. I'm pretty sure I've complained about her before, but honestly. This is ridiculous. Maybe I just got spoiled with my sweet landladies who gave me candy at Christmas and left a welcome fruit bowl when I moved in. Or maybe I just expect too much of people. But in this case, I don't think I do.

4 comments:

  1. She really is ridiculous! Although... I would make sure to keep the keys you've purchased to the pool when you move out. I'd see it as an investment to access to the pool for as long as you live in the area. And if your next place already has a pool? Give the keys to some friend that isn't fortunate enough to have access to a pool! You paid for it, someone besides your landlord should benefit!

    PS. you were totally spoiled previously by your land lord. I've only had crappie ones, I think they're the norm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it might be time to call in the muscle. Have a sit down, with some back up paperwork and threaten a lawsuit if it comes to that. Sorry it's such a crummy situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if it's in the law of the state, she cannot have a provision in the lease. i know all about tenant law. I'm pretty sure you can get a higher up to crack down on that. also, you could turn her in for that because it's against the law to not follow the law. also, why don't you annonymously turn her into management. write a letter saying that you've lived n the management and say she is using the facilities illegally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The law says the landlord's obligation is to "Maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him." So what I'm reading is that since she supplied the washer and dryer, she has to maintain them. It's not really an issue now, but I really don't want it to become one.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.