Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'm what I like to call "medically delicate"

"Your cholesterol is over 300! You're basically a solid!" Name that movie.


So my cholesterol isn't really that bad. Maybe 5 points high, overall. My triglycerides are sufficiently low, my HDL is sufficiently high--both good things. But my LDL is also a pinch high. My ratios are good, but my doctor suggests I take care of it now, lest it gets to the point that I need to medicate.

"Just lose five or ten pounds," she said. Yes, I'd like to do that anyway. Exercise may help some, although it's really more for raising HDL, which I don't need, strictly speaking. She suggested more fish, which is absolutely not an option. I'd rather take cholesterol-lowering drugs my whole life. I can't really reduce the amount of red meat I eat, unless I went to zero. I really don't eat that terribly, except that I don't get enough fruits and vegetables. But lots of whole grains, beans, etc. Sooo...I guess I'll just focus on more produce.

Except wait, that's not all. My calcium level is the lowest extreme of the acceptable range, meaning it probably  dips below it. So I have to focus on dietary sources of calcium. But I'm supposed to avoid saturated fat, so it's not like I can start hitting the ice cream. Plus I'm occasionally lactose intolerant, and sometimes significantly so. You know what the best source of non-dairy is? Kale. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Low calcium levels often go with low vitamin D levels. So I have to go back to get that checked. It would make sense, since I generally avoid the sun as much as possible. According to the never-wrong internet, low vitamin D can cause muscle twitching. Muscle twitching! I have near-constant muscle twitches! Not consistently in one spot. It'll be like five twitches in my quad, three in my back, eight in my calf, and on and on, most of the day. I would love for that to stop. LOVE.

Um, yeah. So that's what happened at the doctor's today. At least they didn't just say "Everything is okay. You're fine!" I'm obviously not fine, or I wouldn't have gone in. Of course, I only went in because my husband made me. Husbands can be handy sometimes.

5 comments:

  1. Okay, so, I don't know how you feel about chicken soup, but if you would like to try it, it's a really easy way to get a ridiculous amount of vegetables in you. Plus it's really simple to make--you just put chicken in water and let it cook, then add a zillion chopped vegetables. We put zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and dark greens like kale, mustard greens, and collard greens. The leafy vegetables are super healthy and you don't really taste them that way, you just taste the chicken soup, which is delicious after all the vegetables have simmered in it.

    My mom and I both like it so much that we sometimes recycle one pot of soup for an entire week--when it gets low, you add more water, vegetables, and chicken to what you already have, and it gets more flavorful every time. Anyway, just an idea. Preparation time is really minimal, and it's a good way to get a lot of vegetables without feeling like you're eating vegetables. We also put it over rice to make it more filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in case you want to try another way to eat kale:

    http://akitchencafe.blogspot.com/2011/03/kale-chips.html

    They sound weird, but you end up only tasting the seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough one. I don't have the dairy problem - fortunately, since I LOVE milk - but I am on occasion anemic and that could be fixed with some more red meat except for the cholesterol thing which is acceptable but doesn't need to get higher. Can you take omega-3 or something? I wish you luck with the kale dilemna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem, Miri, is that it's too dang hot for soup! But I might have to try the kale chips. I hear good things. Or was that seaweed chips? Whatever, they're probably about the same.

    And I'm occasionally anemic, too. Worst case scenario, just take an iron supplement with some citrus. I've taken to cooking with cast iron, which they say helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to take a medication that depleates my bone mass so i have osteopenia, and thus lower than low calcium and vit d levels. your doctor can prescrive a 30 day high dosing vit d med that helps get your levels up. your dr should be concerned about the cal and vit d so they can prescribe you things that will help while you're doing the eating right sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.