Saturday, May 28, 2011

It's Cinco de Mayo three times a week

We eat a lot of Mexican food. Seriously. Beans, meat, cheese, tortillas. Four ingredients, a hundred different meals. I buy large containers of sour cream several times a month. We eat so much sour cream that I actually bought a squeeze bottle so we can get perfectly even distribution. If we are out of cheese or sour cream, we literally cannot think of what to eat for dinner. Yes, it's all relatively cheap, but more importantly, it's delicious.

Anyway, I'm here today to talk about taco shells. There are a dozen shells in a box, and two people in our house. Even on my hungriest day, we're not eating an entire box in one meal. It may be two or three weeks before we cycle back around to tacos on our fiesta list, and if not properly stored, taco shells get stale pretty fast. Quel dommage! I hate wasting food. That's why I don't buy much produce--we never eat it all before it goes bad.

But did you know that a few minutes in toaster oven will make your taco shells not just not stale, but even better than when you first opened the package? Hot, crisp, delicious! I may start warming all my taco shells.

I realize I'm not the first person in the world to figure out how to revive stale taco shells (also works for tortilla chips) but I always feel so... successful when I do it. It's not that saving the $.46 is really going to make much of a difference so much as the domestic triumph, I guess. I throw out a lot of leftovers and things, but at least I can save the taco shells. And now you can too.

3 comments:

  1. Toaster ovens, in my book, beat microwaves any day. Thanks for the tip! All your posts are a reader's delight, Cathie. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! And I agree that toaster ovens are far superior to microwaves. We have been microwaveless the last month, and the only time I miss it is when melting butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is something I did not know, and will be very helpful in the future since I end up throwing out a significant number of taco chips in the course of a year.
    You know you can put any produce in your fridge on top of your beans, cheese meat and tortillas and it's going to be good.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.