Friday, March 11, 2011

Scenes from an American department store

How do you feel about non-gender specified fitting rooms? I can think of several stores where everyone uses the same central fitting rooms, and I'm not really bothered by it.

But. We were shopping this evening at a store with multiple dressing rooms in the various sections, although none of them were specifically marked as "women's fitting rooms" or anything like that. I specifically checked. It just said "fitting rooms." Or "dressing rooms." I'm not really clear on that part, because the specific term they use isn't really significant, so much as the lack of gender designation.

I'm not really a fan of trotting out in my bare feet to show off whatever dubious item I'm trying on, so I generally just have Fabulous Husband hang out in the fitting room with me. No big deal, right? Well, apparently two women in the fitting room thought it was a very big deal, to the point that they complained to an employee, who was then obliged to inform FH of it when he went to fetch me a different size. (It may not help that I was trying to get him to try on the shorts I had just tried on and said "Take off your pants!" to him. Still, if they could hear that, they could hear the rest of the conversation, so it's still not a big deal.) Apparently they were SO uncomfortable with hearing his voice that they just could bring themselves to use the same fitting room. Nevermind that he is in the cubicle with me, they can't see him, he can't see them, and there were eight or ten empty cubicles for them to choose from--including ones very far away from us.

I don't really have a point to this story, except that it was a funny yet ridiculous scene at the department store this evening. And maybe that perhaps all clothing stores should have signs indicating that their are single-gendered, or warning that they are for use by all shoppers. And that some people clearly did not take their chill pill with dinner.

1 comment:

  1. I am a little weirded out by non-specific fitting rooms if only because I do not trustother people or other people's kids and have had too many kids look at me under doors in bathrooms and fitting rooms. At least if it's a specific gender area, I can assume the perv looking at me is under the age of 8.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.