Tuesday, March 8, 2011

new new jobs

I took a very long lunch on Friday to go do a basic math skills and reading comprehension test for a possible new job. It is also temp-to-hire (like my current job) but it's at a company I'd actually like to work for. And I'd have alternating three and four day work weeks, which is really worth something. I think I'd rather work three extra-crappy twelve hour days than five regularly-crappy eight hour days.

The tests were ridiculous easy. I watched the lady administering it, because I was curious to see if she would keep track of the order we finished. I'm pretty sure she did, because I was the first one done and the first one she called in to discuss interview appointment times. So today for lunch I went to interview for a new job. I think it went pretty well. Still temp, still probably kind of dull, but better than what I'm doing now. And once I go full time, I'd be on Pretty Darn Easy Street. Possibly even be able to swing having a newborn around the house? Of course, that would require pills and miracles, but still. I wants a baby, and a better job is step one of one zillion to making that happen.

I have this weird personality thing that makes me feel bad when I'm thinking about leaving a job. Why? That's what people do when they find something that's better for them. We take jobs because they're the most fulfilling, best paying, most conveniently located or scheduled, etc. It doesn't matter if the people are nice or really need your help. That is not my problem. As a temp, I'm not obliged to give them two week's notice. Frankly, I think it would be less awkward to just leave and say, "Um, and I'm not coming back on Monday," but then I'd feel bad about leaving them in the lurch. So it's just kind of strange in general. The important thing, though, is finding a job that's better. Once they make an offer, I'll deal with how to leave the old one. I'm just no good at quitting.

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I've had to quit twice and both times I made this long elaborate story, where the reasons were true but not the real reason I was leaving. I still wonder about the offices and if they're doing okay. I NEVER think about the ones that laid me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that too! I'm glad things are looking up in the job world though, I hope a good job works out for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the new job prospect! Good luck with the quitting when it comes up.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.