Monday, February 7, 2011

A man has dreams...

So I got a job. I was supposed to start tomorrow, but the manager is sick, so I'm not starting until Thursday. It's temp-to-hire, so if they don't like me (or I don't like it/find something better) we can part without too many hard feelings.

The interview process was a little ridiculous, considering that it's essentially a temp data entry gig. My favorite question at the second interview (really? two interviews?) was something along the lines of "what do you want from a job?" Um, a paycheck? Just hire me already! You want me to say that doing this job is my one dream in life? Just hire me already. I don't know if you read The Oatmeal, but I was laughing pretty hard at today's comic, the six crappiest interview questions.  I'm pretty sure I've been asked five of them in the last month.

It's kind of frustrating. I mean, at this point a job is a job is money. But it's starting at a third less than my last job, which wasn't exactly throwing thousand-dollar bills at me. The thousand-dollar bill apparently bears the mug of one Grover Cleveland (and Alexander Hamilton on older versions). What's funny is that throwing a thousand-dollar bill at someone is actually giving them far more than $1,000. But I digress. Point is new job does not pay splendidly.

And of course, there's that whole "I can do more than this" feeling. Most jobs are boring and most of us are just average, but still. It's quite a bitter pill to take.

But. At least I have a job and we won't be carted off to the workhouse. Now we can breathe, figure out what we want to be when we grow up, etc. Speaking of which, I need to go work on my snarky picture book for today's disillusioned adults.

2 comments:

  1. You could use the overly romantic answers, "I'm looking to expand my horizons," "I want this job to fulfill me."
    Sorry. Job looking and interviewing and most having kind of sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Here's to jobs that pay the rent!" or bills. Glad you found something even if it's not ideal. Hopefully something better will come along

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.