Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Long time no read

Um, hi. Remember me?

It's been crazy. We moved, we had Thanksgiving, I have periodic meltdowns, we paint, I melt down some more. Thanksgiving was particularly difficult because I was used to being alone pretty much all the time, and then there were a dozen people around at any given time. At one point my mom may have given me some sort of anti-anxiety medication. I should maybe take some more sometimes.

The renters who lived in this house previously ruined it. Ruined. They destroyed the carpet--which had been basically brand new when they moved in. Holes in walls and doors, broken faucets, creepy stains, a cracked window...the list keeps getting longer. And the fridge smells like fish.  Really, really, really bad fish. I feel really bad for my parents, who are spending thousands of dollars just to make it livable. Such a fine "thank you" from the people they were helping out by letting them live here for basically half price.

I can't cook right now, which is getting really old. And expensive. But I also can't unpack my kitchen stuff, because it's in newspaper and needs to be washed, which requires a fully functioning sink and/or dishwasher (the dishwasher requires a garbage disposal in place, which also needs to be replaced). Did I mention they turned the house into trailer trash?

We repainted the downstairs and are living down here. Had to paint much of the upstairs before the carpet goes in,  but we can't move in up there until we get a bathroom brought up to a usable condition. It's all very sad and frustrating.

No jobs yet, which is okay because there's so much painting and junk to do, but bad because we haven't stopped spending money, we've just stopped making it. Although I should get one last check with my paid out vacation time. So that will take us real far. Or not. I only had 40 hours.

After two days of hardcore painting I woke up today with pretty much everything sore. And to an email from our renters, basically calling us slobs. We offered her an opportunity to walk through the place when she picked up the keys, to see if there was anything we needed to do or she objected to or whatever. But then today she was like, "There was dust and bugs in the windowsill! I have to sweep!" Okay, look. I did vacuum, sweep, clean the bathrooms, wipe down the kitchen, etc, but it's not going to be perfect. Everyone cleans when they move into a place, no? And we warned her that there's stuff in the garage that we wouldn't be able to pick up until later this month.

So that was just an extra dose of frustration. Plus really quite insulting. We haven't gotten their check for December yet, either. They're not moving in fully until next week, but I already gave her the keys, and she filled out the rental contract with the date starting December 1. Blah. THIS is exactly why I don't want to be a landlord. I really want to sell the dang place. Hey, are you sure you don't want to buy it as an investment? No? Someone you know maybe?

I'll be glad to go out of town just so I don't have to deal with any of this. No phone calls, no email, no nothing.  Everything can go to crap, and I really don't care. But don't take it as an invitation to burgle; there will be people here. More repairs and stuff, plus my sister is moving her stuff into one (but just one!) of the spare rooms, since they have moved in with my parents.

Sigh. So that's where I've been. Any questions?

6 comments:

  1. Aw Cathie! So much work is not fun... let me know if you need me to stop by and "check up" on your rental check or anything. It's kinda ridiculous to be this late. Did you include a late payment clause in your agreement? I hope it will all work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could send your renter a picture of your current bathroom, kitchen or whatever and say "we could have left it like this. Count your blessings."
    Sorry, this all sucks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're back! But I'm sorry you've been having such a frustrating time. I could stop by and ask about a check, too, if you wanted. Good luck with everything. Change sucks sometimes. I hope things get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have a question: how on earth are you surviving all this?! I'm happy to read your post to know you're okay, but it seems like the whole situation--everything--is NOT okay. Another question: will you be able to celebrate your anniversary on that lovely cruise still? Hope so! That get-away couldn't come at a better time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, what is wrong with people?? IT'S NOT YOUR PLACE, SO RESPECT IT AND TAKE CARE OF IT!! Silly renters. I'm so sorry!! I'm glad you are alive though, and if you have any more of that anti-freak out medication stuff, I'll take any extras you don't need :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw cathie. i'm so sorry. i use a property management company to take care of the renting of my condo. you should look into that. it's stress free an the renters can't contact you.

    have fun in mexico!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.