Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Leftover anticipation

So, normally when I bring my lunch to work, it's not something worth being thrilled about. It's hard to muster a lot of enthusiasm for a PB&J or chicken and crackers.  But today, I'm actually looking forward to eating leftovers.

This happens about once a decade. Prior to getting married, my goal in life was to cook with no leftovers, because I just don't eat them. When I go to a restaurant, I don't want to waste all that extra food. There are hungry people! Not just in Africa, but the US, too! So I put it in a foam box, take it home, let it sit in the fridge for a few days until the guilt dries out as much as the food, then pitch it.  (I'm getting over it.  More useless guilt.)

Anyway, last week I made a vegetable soup based on the PW's minestrone. I had the leftovers a few days later, and they were still delicious. So I made some last night--more "inspired by" than "based on," though, because I don't really keep green beans or yellow squash or low sodium chicken broth on hand--and it was again delicious. And I had a loaf of french bread to boot.  So today's lunch is a rerun of last night's dinner, and for once I don't mind at all.

1 comment:

Be nice.