Monday, November 15, 2010

Friendly skies, unfriendly airport

Seeing as I'll soon once again be taking to the skies, an article recently caught my eye about the full-body scanners. I don't like those things for many reasons, and I'm not alone. They may or may not have unsafe levels of radiation, they certainly are unnecessarily invasive, and they don't actually stop anything. Even worse, though, are the stories about the "enhanced" pat downs, where government officials are authorized to grope you. All in the name of safety, of course. Safety, even though most of the the people being searched like criminals are just law-abiding travelers. Even though the full-body scans miss plenty of things (except for your private anatomy, of course).  Even though we're always one step behind the terrorists. Even though profiling (gasp! yes, that) is more effective.

It really bothers me that we all turn into sheep in the name of "security." Do any of us really feel more safe? Would we stand for it if they tried to implement these procedures at stadiums, museums, historic sites, etc.? Is it really a government of, for, and by the people if they have carte blanche to invade our privacy? Is there really nothing we can do to stop it?

2 comments:

  1. It's all an illusion of security anyway, to make the stupid public feel better. Of course the real terrorists know how to get around the procedures and even the profiling. That kid who resulted in us taking off our shoes was only to see if he could. And he did. And now I have to wear socks on the plane.
    The only way I can see to stop it is to not fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the only answer is to not fly. I heard a description of the "enhanced" pat-down, and it's definitely groping. I'm never going to be okay with that.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.