Wednesday, November 3, 2010

bits and pieces

Why are all the good bookshelves Nordic? The READ bookshelves I want are from Sweden, and now this crazy thing from Finland.  Maybe they like to read more than America.

Anyway, I'm so relieved the election is over. I'm tired of the ads and the signs and the autodialer phone calls at work. I'm tired of the Republicans and the Democrats. I'm registered as an independent, and it's such a relief not to be affiliated with either party's nonsense. And it's a relief for the next campaigning season to be what--nine, ten months away?

I'm so tired. It makes me crabby and impatient. I've been staying up way too late. Partly because my husband is a time zone behind me (for the next four days) but also because I have a hard time putting down my book.  These books.

I've mentioned before my love of children's lit. I want a master's degree in it. I just have no patience for contemporary adult literature in general. It's so self-important, trying to be Important. Swearing doesn't make you relevant. Neither does graphic sex scenes. Don't get me wrong, there are still some good books, but many of them are not. And while there are plenty of crappy books written for young adults (like, oh, most things directed at young girls) I think they tend to be more interesting and entertaining.

Because face it, we read books to be entertained. If a book isn't entertaining, we probably won't finish it. *cough*Emma*cough* What is it about that book that is so unappealing to me?

3 comments:

  1. Those are crazy shelves! How do they make the books stay part way around the bend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are divider shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love young adult books. Your mom gave me a copy of The Lightning Thief when we stayed with them last August, and I'm pretty sure I'd finished it before the trip was over. That's a fantastic series!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.