Monday, October 11, 2010

Tension builds slowly

A while ago--as in months--the printer at work started showing the message "Order new cartridge."  I didn't. I figure I'll get a new one when it actually tells me to replace it, seeing as I just have to walk across the parking garage to pick up a new one.

After several weeks it said warned that there were less than 1800 pages remaining.  Then 1400.  Now less than 1100.  It's been months!  We rarely print more than a dozen pages a day, so we probably have a good many more weeks before it becomes critical.  I suppose if you print hundreds and hundreds of pages a day it would be helpful, but I find it very anticlimactic. If anything, it makes me less inclined to worry about it.  The printer that cried wolf, I guess.  Or maybe I just don't care about my job so much.  I'm a little burnt out.  It reminds me of an oft-referred to (in my family) passage from The Simpsons:



Lisa: Uhh, excuse me?  Isn't there anything here that doesn't have meat in it?
Doris: Possibly the meat loaf.
Lisa: Well, I believe you're required to provide a vegetarian alternative.
Doris: [Picks up a hot dog in a bun, shakes the weiner out, and slaps the bun down on Lisa's tray.]  Yum.  It's rich in bunly goodness.
Lisa: [Drolly.]  Do you remember when you lost your passion for this work?
Lunchlady Doris removes the cigarette from her mouth, reaches under the counter and presses the "independent Thought Alarm" button.  Cut to Principal Skinner in his office.
Skinner: Uh oh.  Two independent thought alarms in one day.  The students are overstimulated.  Willie!  Remove all the colored chalk from the classrooms.
Willie: I warned ya!  Didn't I warn ya?!  That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!
Maybe you just had to be there.

1 comment:

  1. But it's good to have inside jokes and family 'things' like that.
    I hear you though, I make my car scream at me before I fill it with gas. Not wise perhaps, but I like to see how many miles I can go before I have to fill it up again.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.