Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Drowsy Chaperone

Do you live in Utah? Will you be in Utah any time before November 28?  If you answered yes to either of those questions, might I strongly suggest you go see The Drowsy Chaperone at the Hale Centre Theatre in West Valley?  It is good fluffy fun with lots of singing and dancing, including a tap number.  TAP DANCE, people!  Everyone loves tap dance!  There are all sorts of fun things that I would totally tell you about, but don't want to ruin the surprises if you do end up seeing it.

The cast is great--I think there are a few who don't have a degree in Music Dance Theater?  (I keep saying we need to move somewhere with less talent so I can get cast in shows.)  Half the cast is single-cast, which means they basically do every show.  I've never seen a show with so many people single cast.  It's a huge commitment, doing 8-10 shows a week for eight weeks.

 The best part, though, is Greg Barnett, who plays the narrator, Man in Chair.  I've seen him in quite a few shows (he was quite delightful as Algernon in The Importance of Being Earnest) and he never disappoints. But as Man in Chair he is funny and sarcastic and fey and charming and really just remarkable. And he teaches third grade in real life.  And with the exception of about two minutes near the beginning of Act 2, he's on stage the entire show.  He's the linchpin that holds it all together, and not just anyone could pull it off.

So, yes.  Go see it.  GO SEE IT!  "The spit-take scene is lame and the monkey motif labored, but it does what a musical is supposed to do!"

2 comments:

  1. I've heard that it is a really good show but alas, we are not likely to be in the vicinity in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks! Glad you liked the show. :)
    Also, The Last Olympian was by far the best of the series.

    -Man in Chair
    (I'm known as Mr. B to my students.)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.