Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Very Special K

Remember the old Slim Fast commercials?  "A shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch, and a nutritious dinner!"  Well Kellogg's, bless their heart, does them one (or two or ten) better.

See, we eat a lot of Special K in our house.  A lot.  Such that Kellogg's should feel free to send us coupons and boxes of product.  And on the back of every cereal box, they outline the Special K Challenge.  The challenge is to drop a jeans size in two weeks--by eating a lot of Special K branded products.  All you do is replace two meals with a bowl of Special K, Special K granola, Special K protein shake, or Special K protein meal bar.  You also get two snacks, of Special K protein snack bars, Special K cereal bars, Special K fruit crisps, Special K crackers, or Special K protein water mixes.  Oh yeah, you also get a meal of your choice and all the fruits and vegetables you want.

See where I'm going with this?  Nearly your entire day's menu is comprised of Special K products.  And if you follow the "Classic" plan on their website, you'd have to purchase ten different products. (The "mix it up" plan requires 12! I didn't check the others.)  Figuring about $4 a pop on average, that's a lot of scratch to feed one person (not including the cost of the produce!), not to mention all the interesting chemicals they include.

Part of me, though, is almost willing to do it.  (See previous whinings about the quantity of weight gained recently.)  Apparently weight loss is a zero-sum game in our house, and I pick up everything my husband with the metabolism of a 14-year-old boy loses.  Plus I just really like a bowl of original Special K.  I should find a sponsor or something.  Or just blow my grocery budget on boxes of Special K. The family-sized boxes are far more cost effective than the protein bars and stuff.

Also, would I be required to give up our nightly bowl of Popcorn a la Jeff? (Oil pop popcorn on the stove top.  Pour in bowl. Season with beef bouillon granules.  Don't mock it until you've tried it.)  Because I don't know if that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.  You can't do it with air popped.  I've tried.  Really, though, it's delicious and you should try it.

So, what do you think? Should I drop a bunch of money on Special K products so that I can fit into my pants again?  How do I get all these free samples bloggers are always talking about?  What's that? Have more than nine readers, you say?  Nuts.

1 comment:

  1. I do love me some cereal, special or not.
    I don't know that buying all the Kellogg's products is really necessary. Depends on how much you like Special K I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.