Monday, September 27, 2010

More things a day

In early August, I decided to get rid of the equivalent of one thing a day for the rest of the year. That was 49 days ago, and so far I have at least 70 things that I have purposely thrown away rather than continue to store, or else designated for sale or donation. I want to have a garage sale, but I don't know if it will actually happen.

Can I tell you how great it is?  There's something so lovely about getting rid of Stuff.  I definitely need to get rid of a lot more.  We packed up several boxes of random stuff in preparation for taking pictures and hopefully showing our house, and the upstairs feels so different.  It's so clean and uncluttered.  We keep saying we feel like we live in a model home. It's nothing short of remarkable.

It makes me wonder if we really need that stuff in those boxes.  Some of it is sentimental, but how much of it is stuff that I might use again some day, or is only occasionally useful when we have someone with kids over?  I bet most of that stuff we could just get rid of and never move.

I highly suggest that everyone pack up a few boxes, as if they were getting ready to move.  It will feel so nice, you might wonder if you actually need all that stuff.  You probably don't.

3 comments:

  1. The problem for me is, as soon as I do get rid of it, not just pack it up but actually throw it out, I need it. It's the weirdest phenomenon but it happens every time.
    We are trying to follow your plan and we have made it to 45 things but it's a struggle every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking that yesterday. I dumped a bunch of stuff off at a donation place and it felt nice... now if I just had the TIME to really attack this house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our society is undoubtedly materialistic. I wish I could say I wasn't. Have you ever noticed that so many of the things we collect are alluring precisely because they are part of a collection? For example, buying a KitchenAid mixer (which we have and are grateful for) but then suddenly feeling the compelling need to buy all the fancy gadget attachments. We have the vegetable slicer. I'm sure it works great, but we still need to test it out! And I would love to have the pasta maker attachment. Really, when would I ever set the time aside to make pasta from scratch? But still it's on my wish list. So many other things that attract my attention only do so because they are part of a set and, like, the toy commercials from the 80s that used to bombard my mind in between Smurfs episodes, I want "to collect all nine" or ten, or what have you. Silly! Most of us probably have room for improvement in following your example. It amazes me that having more space elicits wanting more stuff to fill that space. Perhaps most of our minds could use some de-cluttering that only comes from de-cluttering our surroundings.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.