Monday, September 20, 2010

Hope for me yet

I have lamented this summer the barrenness of my zucchini plant.  Zucchinis are supposed to be so abundantly fertile that you're forced to leave their fruit on your neighbor's doorstep in the middle of the night.  My zucchini never seemed able to muster up more than one flower at a time, and usually gave up on those before they actually bloomed.  I don't know what I did wrong.  All I know is that it seemed like some sort of ominous symbol.  There's a very real possibility of infertility in my future--it would require trying to get pregnant to actually know, and I'm not quite at that point yet--and infertility is scary because then you take fertility drugs and have an increased risk of multiples and having multiples scares me more than spiders and possibly even cockroaches.

But fear not! I was checking on my plant last week, and whadda ya know, a wee little zucchini is growing!  It's probably the only one I'll get, and I don't have too long for it to grow, but at least I got something.  So maybe I won't be barren and have to drop babies at people's houses during the night so that I can sleep.  Maybe I'll just have one little offspring and be able to call it a summer.  That would be okay.

5 comments:

  1. Are you willing to share if you had multiples? I would take up to three if you needed me to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're funny.

    I'd be all about multiples. Sure, it'd be rough for a while, but think about being able to get your whole family out in just one nightmare labor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I do have multiples, I'd prefer if it was my first pregnancy, so I didn't know any different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were first married, jared and I got a basil plant and agreed that if we could keep that alive, we could keep a human alive. It totally kicked the bucket within two weeks, but the humans we have are still alive, shockingly enough.

    Those plants are just buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My basil leans, but continues to put forth new leaves. Whether or not they taste good...I don't know. I've yet to actually use any. Smells good, though.

    Cilantro, meanwhile, is IMPOSSIBLE for me to keep alive, even when I buy a starter!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.