Monday, August 9, 2010

A thing a day

I recently read something about getting rid of a thing a day, and can I tell you that I totally want to do this? Nay, I shall do this.  According to my desk calendar, there are 144 days left in the year.  That's a dozen dozen.  A gross.  I am quite sure I can find that many things that I don't want, don't fit, can't use, don't like, and don't need.

The nice thing is that there's so much flexibility.  Go through your closet and pull out the seven pairs of shoes that you never wear anymore.  You're good for the week!  Those two four-packs of punch glasses that I bought on clearance after Christmas, thinking they'd make awesome juice glasses, but have never used?  Count them as two items, or count them as eight.  Gather up a box of stuff to donate at the end of the month.  Sell it, give it to a friend, pitch it in the garbage...it all counts.

I suspect that I could do most of this in my head right now. Books I didn't like, old cell phones, VCRs and VHS tapes, a collection of ribbons I have no use for, soaps that ended up causing a reaction, the Winnie-the-Pooh cookie jar that got knocked over and his ear broke off, at least three sweaters I didn't wear last winter, old medicines, jewelry I've never worn, some of my large collection of old headphones, empty CD holders, dozens of pens, food that's been in the back of the pantry for who knows how long...the list could go on and on.  I'm especially looking forward to the day I can get rid of my collection of tights and nylons.  I will count them as one thing, and I might burn them.

Am I alone in feeling cluttered? Lately I've been consumed with the desire to get rid of stuff.  Maybe it's because we (hopefully) are moving. Maybe it's because I'm anxious because I don't know if we're moving. Maybe it's because if I have to put everything in storage, I don't want to store junk.  Maybe it's because one day we'll have a baby and they come with tons of stuff of their own.  Maybe it's because I really do just have a lot of stuff.  It's probably a lot of those things, really.  All I know is that I'm very excited by the idea of getting rid of some stuff.

Anyone care to join me?  Really, 144 things isn't that much.

3 comments:

  1. Do it. And do it before you move. We got rid of two big boxes of stuff before trucking everything down to Provo, but hauling everything up and down stairs has made me want to have a great purge.

    Books and sweaters are my weaknesses, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are my Waterloo too. Can not give up a book. I've really tried. Can't.
    But I do have a lot of other stuff and I probably could get rid of most of it. I will join you in the great purge of 2010. When do we start?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start today and you will eliminate 144 items of clutter by the end of the year.

    I have a hard time getting rid of books, but I think I can bring myself to get rid of books I didn't even like. Most of them, anyway. The Madame Bovary is part of a matching group (not a set).

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.