Friday, July 9, 2010

Picky eater's lament

I'm a picky eater.  I'll admit it.  There are lots and lots of things I just can't stand.  It's mostly a texture issue.  I can't even have smoothies with strawberries in them, the seeds bother me so much.  I hate onions for many reasons, which eliminates many recipes, or demands modification.  I sometimes wish I could go to pastry school, but I don't like fruit, and I doubt they make all cream and chocolate desserts.

That's not entirely true.  I do like some fruit.  But there are far more that I don't like than those that I do.  Besides, I don't like cooked fruit at all.  I can choke down an apple crisp or a cherry pie, but given a choice, I would never pick them.

I wish I liked more fruits.  For that matter, I wish I liked more vegetables, too.  Again, I'll eat them, but I wouldn't choose them.  They don't mush up properly in your mouth (or in fancy words, they don't form a bolus) and I find most of them a tad bitter.

Sometimes, though, it makes me sad to see a recipe that looks so yummy, and know that I could never actually make it, because one bite of the berry topping would make me want to gag.  It makes me sad.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried ALL the fruits? Because I find that some of them are a lot more palatable than others. Growing up we lived in the north east. Very cold and very expensive to import foods, so we had a limited selection. To this day, fruits and vegetables we ate when I was a kid are on the bottom of my list and ones we never had are at the top.
    Have you had the ice cream fruit? Very weird texture but that might be just what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so our weekend of picking apricots and strawberries and turning them into jellies, fruit leather and dried fruit would be a complete waste of time for you? How sad! Apricot jelly makes a delicious chicken or pork chop glaze...

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.