Thursday, June 10, 2010

When to update

I'm about to embark on reading the entire Chicago Manual of Style.  I've read a great deal of it, but I figure I'll read it all, straight through, a la J.J. Abrams reading the Encyclopedia Britannica.  (His book The Know It All is a delight.)

But I checked Amazon, and the next edition comes out August 1!  Do I wait and read that one?  Am I sure that they'll even let me buy it, what with all the budget crunching?  It seems a waste to read a style guide that's about to be updated.

What do you say?  Should I read it anyway?

2 comments:

  1. Do you know how much difference there's been between the last few versions? I wouldn't think the new edition would be so different that it isn't even worth reading the current one. I have my own copy of it from college, but I still haven't done it all the way through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the manual, at least 20% should be new/revised to come out with a new edition. I assume most of the changes will have to do with web/electronic based content.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.