Wednesday, June 2, 2010

We're going to need considerably bigger buns

A thousand points if you can tell me what movie the title of this post comes from.  Negative fifty points if you google it.

So, perhaps you know that I like to cook?  Bake, really.  I don't care for making dinner (except for homemade pizza...watch for it!) but I like to make treats.  Every Sunday night, we have dinner with our neighbors, and I generally pick what dessert I'm going to make before I pick a main course.  For example, I had already picked chocolate toffee cookies before we decided on homemade pizza again (watch for it!).

Anyway, we rarely eat hamburgers, because I don't love 'em. But I also don't hate them, and I had been wanting to try out a recipe for hamburger buns that I had found in the NY Times.  Fortunately, the remarkable Deb of Smitten Kitchen made them for me (by which I mean on my behalf, not to give to me.  Dude, I don't even know her.  Or her adorable baby.  Sigh.).  You can find the recipe there, but note that I used no bread flour (because who keeps bread flour?) and it turned out just fine. They're even good for eating plain (also toasted with a little garlic salt and mozarella).  See?



I also made a batch using instant yeast instead of active dry (try googling that difference some time) and again, just fine.  They mostly just rise faster, which is just fine by me.  I actually made the second batch during the week, it was so speedy (it helps if they're sitting by the dishwasher during a heated dry cycle, I'll admit).  I have them in the freezer, just hanging out, waiting for me to cook something meaty to put inside it.

Dare to dream, little breads.  Dare to dream.

3 comments:

  1. Calendar Girls!!! 1,000 points for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that the other day. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look really good. Totally jealous of your skillz.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.