Thursday, June 17, 2010

This is what we call a GBS

I got two--count 'em, two--compliments on my outfit today.  That is more impressive when you consider how few people I encounter during a day.  It's like winning a People's Choice Award, really.

One of them was from my co-worker who, uh, doesn't share my sense of style.  This always makes me nervous, because her idea of a store with "lots of really cute stuff" is Coldwater Creek.  (They do seem to have a few cute things online, but I can never actually get over the threshold of the store; it's like Anthropologie all over again.) But then a few minutes later, when I was at lunch, the girl next to me in line said she liked my outfit, so I knew it was okay.

It's a good outfit.  It reminds me of our wedding, oddly enough.  Story time!


As you know, the airlines have chosen to screw the consumer by charging for checked baggage.  I refuse to do it.  (Well, we did on the way home, because we had some gifts and it was still cheaper than shipping them.  They were heavy!)  I don't know if you were aware, but weddings require a lot of stuff.  Dresses (three, actually), veil, suit, shoes, jewelry, specialty underpinnings so you can actually zip the darn thing, etc.  As such, we had exactly one "rollerboard" (which I've also seen as "rollaboard") suitcase for all our other stuff.  That really didn't leave room for much in the way of a wardrobe.

Let me pause here so you can make a "you don't need much clothing on a honeymoon" joke before you get to the "add a comment" button.  Go ahead.  Get it out of your system.  I'll wait.

As I was saying, there wasn't a lot of room for clothes.  Most things had to do double duty.  I had the outfit I flew out in, plus a tank top to layer under my red cardigan (which technically was part of the wedding ensemble).  I seem to recall the shirt I flew out in getting baby vomit on it, so it's a good thing I had a spare.

And what a spare!  Look at those sequins!  It's so much fun.  A little flashy without being clearance-rack-at-Dillard's ridiculous.  I got it at Old Navy when it was the Deal of the Week, and I think I also had a 30% off coupon.  All I remember is that I paid less than $5 for it.

So this pairing ended up getting a fair amount of wear, like when we went down to the hotel bar for virgin daiquiris, or when we went to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant with our families before we left for the airport, or when we went to the mall to go to Claim Jumper.  Because you know what?  Room service is expensive (I think it was $28 for the hamburger?  Pardon me, cheeseburger.) and they don't have Claim Jumpers in Utah.  And it's the dang craziest mall I've ever been to, with Dolce and Gabbana next to Bath and Body Works.  Really, it's the most inclusive mall you'll ever go to.  No matter how much money you have, you can find a store willing to take as much of it as possible.

Anyway, it's a great outfit, and it reminds me of the best day ever, exactly six months ago.

3 comments:

  1. I remember going to a claim jumper up in park city.. just sayin..

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long ago? Because the website says none in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a talented woman right there. I wish I could make three articles of clothing make sixteen outfits. Instead I practice the 'jam more stuff into the really small suitcase' religion and hope that I can shake the wrinkles out when I get there.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.