Friday, June 11, 2010

They want me to eat rabbits? Cute, floppy-eared rabbits?

I just read an article that suggested we all raise chickens and rabbits for meat instead of having a pet.  First of all, I'm pretty sure chickens are more work than people think.  Second, I'm not going to eat rabbits, especially if I raised them myself.  They're cute and soft and cuddly, and I would have a pretty hard time KILLING AND EATING something so pet-like.  Especially if you gave up a pet to raise them--you're likely to view them as pets, anyway.

The article also went on to say that we should plant gardens instead of lawns and use leftover animal fat to make our own soap.  Uh huh, uh huh.  Where should I set up my candle-dipping station?  I mean, don't get me wrong, I like the Little House books as much as the next girl, but I have no great desire to re-live them.  Remember The Long Winter, where they almost died because the winter was harsher than they expected and they didn't have enough food stored?  Yeah, I totally want my winters like that!  Maybe I'll turn off my heater, too, and just live off the straw I can twist into bundles to feed into my wood-burning stove.

Honestly, people can be so ridiculous.  I hate that people take good ideas--grow a garden, eat less meat--and make it a battle cry, like I'm a terrible person who doesn't deserve to live if I don't rip out my lawn and put in a lettuce patch.

And what do these people do for a living, that they not only have time to be so ecologically productive, but to also judge me for not doing it?  Sign me up for that job.

2 comments:

  1. Always the extremists ruin it for the rest of us. Gardens, good. Returning to pre-industrial age living, not so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murder Thumper myself?!?! Dude, I need to hire that junk out fo SHO.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.