Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tell me something I don't know, finance bloggers

I read something last night on five ways to save $500.  They were all useless.  It included things like "go a week longer between haircuts."  Seeing as I get my hair cut about twice a year (if I'm lucky) that's really not going to make a difference.  I've complained mentioned before that I've reached my maximum couponing ability for my current stage in life, so that's no good.  I already bring leftovers for lunch.  We eat meatless several times a week, but mostly because I don't like meat that much.

That's the problem with the "one less latte" brand of money-saving advice.  If I'm already doing it, then an infinity of tips aren't going to help me save money.  I can't turn the A/C up two degrees if it's not even on yet (thanks again for the ceiling fans, Dad).

I think my all-time favorite tip is "make more money."  Thanks, guys.  WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?

So forget about the "pros."  How do you, my loyal eight readers, save money?

7 comments:

  1. I’ve started making things from scratch (bread, granola, beans dried instead of canned, canning our own salsa & jelly etc.). There’s an upfront cost involved, but when you consider how many loaves of bread that 50 lbs of wheat make, you save big time! BUT you have to enjoy and have the time to cook/bake.

    Also, buying certain things at Costco (if you eat it all before it goes bad and you don’t succumb to impulse buys while at the store). Gas is always cheaper there by 5 – 10 cents (so when you fill up as much as I do, it really adds up).

    Also I got a new job that pays me more, pays for my insurance, pays for my trax pass (saving me $40 a week in gas) and will buy me lunch. So yah… make more money ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hhhhhaaaaahaha. Make more money??? Dang, those people are GENIUSES. Jared is so cheap that we save money just by being cheapazoids. Eating poorly too - if you eat next to nothing because you are a terrible cook, you do quite well.

    I do suggest making more money, though. If you heard it on the internet it MUST be true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Eric and I save money by pretty much not buying stuff. (Not food...I mean clothes and toys and other fun things.) And when we *do* buy things, we spend a moderate amount of time (not *so* much time...we both have jobs) comparison-shopping (mostly online). Other than that, we do the stuff you already do (bringing lunches to work, eating out less or at cheap places (like Costco for hot dogs)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. These kinds of tips are highly relative to your lifestyle. It's like when they tell you how to eat healthier--you know, cutting down on your soda intake, etc. I don't drink soda at all anymore, so why aren't I a million times healthier than people who drink it all the time?

    Just about the only thing we've started doing, that wasn't part of our lifestyle already, is unplugging things to save on electricity. My straightener/hair dryer, the toaster, anything that has an easily accessible plug and doesn't require set-up when you turn it on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We put ourselves on an allowance. We each get $20 a week, even Chloe. She's saving up to get a big-girl carseat. Our $20 is for "incidentals," like make-up, new dvds, Thirstbusters, eating out, etc. It's a lot harder to piddle your money away when you only get $20 a week and you have to hand over the cash to the chipper teenager working at In-N-Out. Makes me more inclined to make my own hamburger.

    We also stay out of Wal-Mart at all costs. We spend way too much money there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, Can, I've been talking about doing that! It was going to start this month, until our finances imploded. I think it would discourage those "oh, there's nothing to eat for lunch" trips to Burger King if it had to come out of one's allowance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the same ol' same ol' stuff. Budget, plan, don't make impulse buys, pay tithing, pray, etc. No fancy tricks.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.