Monday, June 21, 2010

Not lethal is not the same as benign

I have been suffering lately from some incredibly annoying muscle twitches.  (Would you like to see the video of my calf's "heartbeat"?)  The internet tells me they're benign, but I think what they mean is that they're not life-threatening.  Because you know what?  They're not harmless.  There's nothing benign about something that makes you want to rip your arm off at the shoulder--or that makes you flap like a chicken constantly in an attempt to make it stop.  There's nothing benign about waking up in the middle of the night because your butt is twitching and you can't fall back asleep.  There are some serious mental side-effects going on here.  I think so far I've had at least nine different muscles twitching.

There are various things that might cause twitching--exhaustion, stress, magnesium deficiency, dehydration--but it started very suddenly last week, with no obvious trigger.  I'm just lucky I guess.

Anyone got any awesome folk remedies?  My friend's dad suggested tonic water for the quinine (about this same time last year, actually) but I just can't bring myself to drink enough of that for it to make any difference.  Maybe it's just a summer solstice thing.

4 comments:

  1. For as long as I can remember,(we're talking since probably junior high) I get this twitch in my right thigh, on the inside of it. It goes away after a couple seconds. Not strong enough to wake me up in the middle of the night though. I just kind of move my leg and bend my knee and it goes away.

    I know that's no help. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That totally sucks. Is there another way to try to get quinine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. pickle juice. I personally haven't tried it, but I hear it works like a charm. or maybe that's for muscle cramps. It's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that for charley horses, but I guess it's worth a try! Plus, I like pickles.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.