Monday, June 14, 2010

More things I don't understand

I don't understand why everyone loves Anthropolgie.  Am I some weird freak of nature?  It seems that everyone I know (and blog I read) is obsessed with this store.  And when they post specific items that they like, I'm usually like, "Yeah, that's cute."  But every time I walk in the store, everything is unattractive or weird and the place is so loud and disorganized that I can't imagine how anyone could ever spend enough time in there to actually find something worth trying on.  I guess I'm just too distracted by all the expensive knob pulls.  No, really.  Knob pulls that are like, eighteen bucks each.  So I guess if I was redoing my very small bathroom vanity I could afford them, except that most of them are just nuts and ugly.  There are a couple I like, but most of them are too odd, even for me--and I want a Psycho-esque shower curtain.

But let's face it, I think my main aversion to the store is the prices.  You want how much for a shirt dress?  $118. But it has bicycles on it!  Um, okay.  I don't really even like bicycles that much.  I think I'll stay with my under-$30 H&M shirt dress.  It has cute little flowers on it.  And pockets.  And didn't cost me two weeks' worth of groceries.

So what does everyone think of Anthropologie?  Love it? Hate it?  Not even bother to go in?  Tell me I'm not crazy for thinking it's overrated.

7 comments:

  1. I think a bunch of their things are super cute, and lots of times I'll see a dress from there and want it. But I don't go in and rarely visit the website because of the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Cathie. I know many people who are obsessed with that store...though, now that I think about it, as I consider their wardrobes, I can't say it screams "Anthro." Maybe they love but can't afford it either?

    Never been in a store, so I can't comment on the environment. Online prices are scary! Over $200 for a cotton dress - seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been in the store - and I hate stores where it's so loud I can't hear the salesperson answer my question - but the clothes online are very cute and very, very expensive. I don't think I could do it. My wedding dress didn't cost that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even seen an Anthro store - I ahve no idea where I'd find one. Everyone online it seems is in desperate love with it all - but I'm like "meh." It's just another clothing line where I have to look super hard to find something that will be modest on me and my lanky, bumpy frame. It's all kind of fussy, too. I love me tee shirts. LOOTs and lots of tees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its fun to look around, but I don't really think I'd ever buy something there. Although a lot of Anthropologie-inspired crafts/home decorating projects turn out really cool. Often cooler than the actual item. In little bits, interesting. But the whole store, vomiting all over my house? Um... no thanks. With my Rubix cube of a living room, it's crazy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that I think about it, of all the people I know who are obsessed with that store, I don't think they actually really shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been in a store, but I've looked around online and everything was always 1) WAY too expensive and 2) mostly weird. I'm with you: It's totally overrated.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.