Tuesday, May 11, 2010

When is enough enough?

Perhaps you've read the multitude of articles (and comics and tweets) lately about how Facebook doesn't give a crap about your privacy (or the law?). Reasons you should quit Facebook.  Eroding privacy in the default settings.  Security holes. I could go on.  Suffice it to say, Facebook has turned into a big bully, pushing everyone around just because they can.  They say that it just reflects the changing mores in regards to privacy, but I disagree.  I still enjoy keeping some things private.

"But Cathie," you say, "You have a public blog.  Surely privacy isn't a huge concern for you."  Ah, but there's the rub.  My blog is public, and always has been.  I knew that when I signed up, and if I want to change that, it's easy to do.  It's bait-and-switch for Facebook to sign me up for a service that allows me to share information with my set group of friends, then gradually expand that information to the entire internet (as well as advertisers and "partner" sites Yelp, Pandora, and Microsoft Docs).

So what's a girl to do?  Facebook clearly has no respect for me as anything but a revenue source.  I'd prefer to delete my account entirely.  But what of the 149 dear, close friends I'd leave behind?  Okay, I don't have that many actual friends.  I'd estimate 2/3 of my friends list either don't ever login, rarely post, or aren't particularly interesting or relevant at this point in life.  I daresay I'd live just as well without Facebook as I did before I ever signed up.  I bet I could get by just fine with my blog, email, Twitter, and Buzz.

Who's with me?  Shall we all permanently delete our Facebook accounts?  Take back the internet!

5 comments:

  1. If only I had kept Facebook as a personal platform I would completely agree with you...

    Unfortunately I've also had business associates leak into my Facebook friends. So if I got rid of it I would also get rid of all those contacts and all the networking that goes along with it. I can always just call my personal friends, but I don't have all my business contact's information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought a bunch over the past couple of weeks about deleting my account, but it's the contact with friends/acquaintances that keeps me from doing it. I'd happily jump to a simpler, more private alternative. Maybe I'll go the blog-only route sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we can get everyone to switch, then we can say goodbye to Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ug. So evil, so dang handy. I can get ahold of over half my ward in seconds instead of calling for an hour or more. And you are so dang witty in your one-sentence quips. Can we just start a nicer alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to keep playing Mafia Wars on FB so I can't close my account but we could change our information so it isn't true and it won't matter who knows, right?

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.