Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Menu planning redux

"I've just had an apostrophe."
"I think you mean epiphany."

I was coming up with dinner ideas the other day, and I came up with the best system for meal planning.  For once I went to the store and bought actual food, as opposed to milk and toiletries like I usually do.  I bought enough food that I think I could go two weeks and only have to pick up more milk (maybe; milk usage varies widely depending on how much time I have for breakfast).  Our lovely realtor had sent us a calendar full of pretty pictures of places that I'll never be able to afford to go to, so I grabbed it off the bookshelf and started writing in dinner ideas, one on each night.  Rather then moving them around on my weekly calendar (but I still love you, Betty Crocker), I can just cross off the day that we eat it.  So today may be Wednesday but we have Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday crossed off for the week because I was just really in the mood for french toast.  If I want to eat something from two weeks from now, I just cross it off and pick something else that day.  Or what if someone invites us over for dinner and I don't end up making what I had planned?  Back ups!

It's absolute genius, I tell you!  It results in effective grocery shopping (what, we can't have Special K for dinner every night?) and meal flexibility.

I assure you, though, that we are having black bean and chicken quesadillas for dinner tonight, because it's Cinco de Mayo and I have fresh cilantro.  That's more than enough reason.

2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing! I try to follow the menu on the right day, but if not, I just cross it off and move on. But I only do a week at a time. Kudos to you for doing 2 weeks! That's impressive

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Lightning has just struck my brain."
    "Well, that must hurt."

    1. Love that movie.

    2. Black bean and chicken quesadillas sound DELICIOUS.

    3. That does sound like a brilliant plan! I have the hardest time thinking of things to cook, and then half the time when the day comes around, I don't want what I planned. I like the idea of backups.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.