Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Maybe I should hire a lawyer

Perhaps I have complained before about the coworkers who bathe in cologne, not water?  They're generally older individuals, so maybe their ability to smell has dulled.  Regardless, it's miserable.  The scent lingers in the air for ages.  Sometimes it's so bad I can actually taste it.  It happened again today, when Señor Smelly walked in with a question.  Four minutes later he's gone, but the memory of him lingers on and on.

I've mentioned it to the most common offender's manager, but it didn't seem to help much.  Sigh.  It makes me wish I was pregnant, because who wants to make a pregnant lady sick with their offensive cologne?  It's foolproof!

Anyway, a city planner in Detroit filed a lawsuit under the ADA, won $100,000 and people have to stop wearing scented products (read about it here, here, etc.).  Of course, she works for the city, but still.  Something needs to be done.  I have trouble breathing.  A few times I've actually had to leave the office because I was going to pass out.  It gives me terrible headaches.  It's the most awkward conversation to have, "Uh, your cologne makes me physically ill."  And some people are so pompous that they wouldn't take it well.  What do you do?  Anonymous letter?  Complain to the HR rep?  Lawsuit?  

2 comments:

  1. Cathie: I'm not used to the new smells here.

    Coworkers: Bob Vance bought it for me in Orland. It's made from real pine.

    Cathie: *cough cough*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could wear one of your own that's worse; eau de skunk or something and see what they do.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.