Monday, May 17, 2010

Iron Man 2 review

Am I the only person who thought the middle was dullsville, population Mickey Rourke?  I mean, let's face it--Iron Man is at its best when it is blowing something up or shooting off zingy one-liners.  Watching The Wrestler and Mr. Sean Hayes wannabe (I kept waiting for him to say "Just Jack!") go back and forth about English as a second language skills is really a buzz kill.  Give me pyrotechnics!  I came for butt kicking, not exposition.

(Semi-interesting tangent: although Sam Rockwell, who played Justin Hammer with a Just Jack twist, has been in  67 films and TV shows, I'm pretty sure the last thing I saw him in was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 1990. I don't exactly remember that movie in detail.)

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good time.  Robert Downey Jr plays the most lovable jerk in recent history.  Lots of explosions, lots of quips.  For the most part I did enjoy it.  I don't know if I'd say it was better than the first one, but it wasn't a disappointment.  (Unlike X-Men 3.  Sigh.)  Overall, a thumb's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice.