Friday, May 28, 2010

I think my job is making me dumb

To quote Pam Beesley, "I don't think it's many little girls' dream to be a receptionist."

I get like this periodically, when I think to myself, "This is what I went to college for?"  It's not exactly challenging, I have large chunks of time with nothing to do, and I just feel kind of wasted.  Being a secretary was never in my career plan.

The problem is, now all I'm qualified to do is more of this.  Oh, I could be an administrative assistant instead.  Or a medical secretary.  That'd be a big change.  If I really wanted to switch lines of work, I'd have to get more schooling/entry level/get more schooling and still be entry level.  And it would be difficult to find something that pays this much, unless I had at least another (more useful) bachelor's, and probably a master's.

And what do I do?  I still don't really want to be a public school teacher.  There's the medical field, but anything less than an RN would be a pay cut.  I don't really want to be a computer programmer, even if that is where the jobs (and money) are.

Or do I want to be a computer programmer?  I could sit alone at my desk all day, eating Milk Duds and Sun Chips (they're whole grain, thankyouverymuch) wearing not-a-dress.  It would be nice.  But oh, wait, again with the additional schooling.

Sigh.  I don't know.  Not true. I do know--I know I'll stay here and keep doing this until the end of time, or my brain becomes complete mush.  But at least the benefits are good.

4 comments:

  1. Are you kidding?! What I wouldn't give to have a job where I had some time and nothing to do. We need to do a Freaky Friday switch and try each other's jobs for a day. Except that I won't want to go back to teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I already said no public school teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll trade you jobs! I'll bring some books with me to work for the down time, and you can put out the constant fires that exist in the field of marketing! But I want my job back as soon as I start at the new company ;).

    Sometimes I feel like "really, I get paid how much for this remedial work?!?" but other times I feel "I did NOT go to school to be an accountant/programmer/whatever, you need to get someone in that line of work!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll trade you jobs.... :)

    But seriously, if I were to be a working woman, I would be in the exact same situation as you. Who wants to hire an art history major? With only a BA, not MA or MFA?

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.