Monday, May 17, 2010

Feel free to skip the following grumpiness.

After taking care of all the insurance headaches from Fabulous Husband's surgeries (I hope), the drama has started with mine.  It's pretty minimal, really, but it's frustrating and I just can't wait the five hours until I can vent to said FH, so I have to do it here.

The day I went in for surgery, I had to pay $125 deposit to the surgical center.  I ended up owing them only $70 and change.  The doctor and anesthesiologist billed separately, which I paid a few weeks ago.  On Friday I got a refund check from the surgical center...for eight bucks.

So I call today, and she says, "Oh, we transferred part of your credit to the doctor side to pay the outstanding balance there."

Me: "I already paid that."

Her:  "No, it still shows a balance."

Me:  "I paid it May 4."

Her: "Did you put your account number on it?"

Me:  "I used YOUR online system!"

Her: "Oh.  Well, all I can tell you is to call the doctor's billing office, because it still shows a balance."

Now, maybe I'm crazy, but what I get from that is that I have now paid them twice, but it (all together now!) still shows a balance.

So now I have to go home, dig up the billing statement from the doctor's office, and call someone else tomorrow.  Who will probably tell me to call someone else.  Who will probably send me a check in four to six weeks.  As grateful as I am for insurance (husband's $4000 surgery cost us nothing but our premiums), it is always like this.  Always.  I'm not generally in favor of the new healthcare legislation, but I absolutely agree that the system is broken.  (But that's a different post for a different day.)

Meanwhile, in the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

1 comment:

  1. What is the deal with the medical provider and the insurance people? They don't talk to each other and they can't give the same dollar amounts and nothing ever matches up, everyone has thir own account numbering system and it's just insane! Or maybe that's just our medical insurance group...

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.