Monday, April 26, 2010

Percy Jackson and the popcorn

We went to see Percy Jackson and the Olympians: the Lightning Thief at the cheap theaters on Saturday.  I normally call it the ghetto theater, but they recently put new seats in, and it's actually quite nice.  But I can't call it the dollar theater, because it's only a dollar on Tuesdays.  But I digress.

I really enjoyed the movie!  It wasn't terribly acted, and I appreciated the abundant use of Greek mythology.  It's like learning, only fun.  And they were pretty good about sticking to the Greek names, which is always a plus.  

I've heard people compare it to Narnia and Harry Potter, but I think it's like Sky High with mythology instead of superpowers.

The other excitement was the refillable popcorn tub.  For $6 you get a tub of popcorn (maybe around a size medium?) that you can refill for $3 at any Cinemark or Tinseltown theater.  Both nearby dollar theaters and the regular theater right by our house are Cinemarks, and I am a huge lover of movie theater popcorn, so we'll definitely get our money's worth.  We haven't seen a lot of movies lately, but it's more fun to see them on the big screen, and we're entering summer blockbuster season.  We're already planning on seeing Iron Man 2 in theaters, which is funny because I only saw the first one a few months ago.

Anyway, I definitely felt we got our four dollars worth from the movie last night.  I haven't read the book, so I can't speak to any variations from the source, but I thought it stood well on its own.  As far as I know they haven't  announced any sequels, but I'd be willing to go see them if they do.

So there you have it--good movie, good popcorn, good times had by all.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't ask Mallorie what she thought of the movie :)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.