Friday, March 26, 2010

You are just like everyone else!

If you watched last week's episode of Community, "Beginner Pottery," (which I suggest you do because that show is funny like the Office used to be [and was, last week]) you would have gotten some of the greatest advice.

The main character, Jeff, takes a pottery class and is craptastic at it.  But there's another guy in the class who is really awesome, and it really irritates Jeff's narcissism.  Blah blah blah, decides to do his best, learning moment, whatever.  But at the end, he imagines the advice his mom should have given him as a kid.  She says,

Jeff, you're a normal person. There's nothing very special about you at all.  You're going to be great at a few things, but really crappy at many more.  And that takes a lot of the pressure off! So you can live a full, happy life.
I love that.  I think somewhere we decided that you can't enjoy something unless you're awesome at it.  And I understand, it's nice to be successful.  But you know what, I think half the reason I enjoyed my jazz dance class so much was because I wasn't good at it.  I had to work hard, and it made it that much more satisfying when I was able to master something, because I had to work for it.  My paintings aren't good, but I enjoy making them.  I will never star in a Broadway musical, but I love to sing (and the voice lessons really are helping).  In fact, I'm pretty crappy at a lot of the things I enjoy.  But I don't enjoy them any less.

So enjoy your mediocrity!  Embrace it!  Let it free you from the expectations of perfection, and go live a full, happy life.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, Cathie! I found your blog through Chelsea's a few weeks ago, and I have been lurking on it since then. I love your blog, you actually sound a lot like me. So I just wanted to say hi and that I've been reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a good philosophy. Haven't watched that show but might have to give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Community. Somehow our DVR missed that episode, so thanks for sharing the link and giving me an excuse to watch it. Is that something you can actually tell your children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's important for them to know that they can try anything, but they won't always succeed--and that that's okay!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.