Monday, March 29, 2010

Ministry of Silly Walks

There are several people's writing I read that can be considered "professional bloggers."  Do you find it odd, as I do, that blogging can be a profession?  That being a clearinghouse for poorly-decorated cakes--or even better, random musings by no one particularly famous--can earn you a livelihood?

I profess to want that job, but you know what?  I don't.  I don't want to have to come up with content every day.  I don't want to have to write when I'm sick, or plan ahead for posts when I'm on vacation.  I don't want to have to do anything.  I blog because I have a thought in my head or a link that I like (for instance, this video/article on redecorating; it's nice to know we've got our sofas in the right spot).  Any time you make something your profession, it automatically loses some of its enjoyability, because now you're doing it because it's your job, not because you want to.

Of course, I'd love to make money off ads or have companies send me free products to review.  Who doesn't like free stuff?  It'd be great to have minions emailing me begging for my opinion or commenting on each post about how witty and clever and pretty I am.

But then again, minions bring hate mail, people telling you that you're wrong and ridiculous and shouldn't wear white sundresses because you look like Shamu at a wedding.  So I guess I'll stick with my freebie-less existence, with my seven loyal readers by my side.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to walk to the other building, because the vending machine downstairs is broken and I promised myself an ice cream--Shamu or no Shamu.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that being a professional blogger is an odd concept (yet, should I count up the hours that I spend reading blogs? Surely there is money to be made somewhere). And agreed, minions with hate mail would be very annoying.

    But I'm not positive I agree with: "any time you make something your profession, it automatically loses some of its enjoyability...." I can't say that myself or my husband (or any close family member) have decided to turn an enjoyable hobby into a profession, so I don't know exaclty what that would feel like. But there seem to be people who truly love what they are doing, even when there are expectations.

    I guess that I would like to believe that you could be passionate about your career, even though I haven't seen it in action closely enough to learn from said passionista.

    (I really hope that some of that makes sense; I am pregnant and exhausted.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno, I still say turning a hobby to a profession is going to make it less enjoyable, if only occasionally. You can't blow it off, there are deadlines, it gets tied up with money woes...I just don't think it would feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if having a deadline would cause me to post more often or less often. And would it be any better content?

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.