Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hogan's Heroes

My husband got the complete series of Hogan's Heroes for Christmas, so we've been watching quite a bit of it.  A few things nag at me:
  • Is Sgt. Schultz a traitor, or just lazy?  Or does he like the guys because they bribe him so he lets it slide?  What is the motivation for his "see no evil" attitude?
  • Were the prisoners specifically assembled because of their skill sets, or are they more of an ad hoc committee?  I like to think that they were planted to be a special stop on the Underground, like a secret Grand Central Station.
  • Wasn't it a little soon to turn WWII into a sitcom?  It was only twenty years after the war ended, and they're making Hitler jokes.  Would a Persian Gulf War sitcom really go over well now?
  • Am I thinking too much about this?  It's a goofy show.  A goofy show that ran for years longer than the U.S.'s involvement in the war it depicts, much like M*A*S*H.
Yeah, I'm thinking too much about this.

1 comment:

  1. I think it was a different time and a different war.
    Even M*A*S*H, which was goofy on the surface, had a darker side because of the type of conflict it was mocking.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.