Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Foood

I haven't really felt like cooking lately, thanks to funerals, vacations, tonsillitis and whatnot.  Everyone extols the virtue of slow cookers for non-cooking cooking, which I can totally understand.  Set it and forget it.  The problem with slow cooker recipes is that they'll say to cook for three hours, or five hours--or perhaps the most ridiculous, one and a half hours.  Um, okay, I'll just let it sit on "warm" for seven more hours? (That's right, my crockpot is so advanced, you can set a timer and it will switch to warm when it's done.)  Am I supposed to run home at lunch to do it? Because that totally negates the convenience.  Do I trust my husband to set it up before he leaves for work?  Throw the raw ingredients in there to sit for a few hours before the timer turns on?  Do I even have a delayed start for my crockpot?

And my crockpot is huge!  You're supposed to have it at least half full, but that is way more food than we would ever need.  Is there some way to trick it, like putting a brick in your toilet tank?

We've decided to eat healthier, so we've challenged ourselves not to eat out for the rest of the month.  Well, it was supposed to be until Tuesday, but it's just an extra day to finish out the month.  Then maybe we'll do a no high fructose corn syrup challenge (thanks for ruining all my favorite foods, Catherine!) or an "all your servings of fruits" challenge, or whatever.  FH is determined to lose the thirty or so pounds he's gained in the last year, and get ready for potentially doing the POST academy.

Of course, all these best laid plans are certain--certain, I tell you--to go awry next month.  The food they feed us during general conference is kind of dodgy, and the tonsils will definitely cause problems.  But hey, at least this week we're jazzed about cooking and eating healthy and stuff.  Go us.

3 comments:

  1. Never hesitate to hold out your hand; never hesitate to accept the outstretched hand of another...................................................

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've done the "5 a Day" challenge; I even made up a cute chart with pictures of fruits and veggies. :) We stuck them up on the fridge so we'd each remember to fill it out. I'd be happy to email it to you if you want.

    BTW, what do you mean "the food they feed us during GC"? Oh yeah, you work a lot that weekend, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'd love to see your chart!

    And yes, I have to work conference. They give us so much food, I usually come home with an entire meal of leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.