Monday, February 8, 2010

So not funny

There is a flower shop that I pass on my way home from work every day.  (I also pass it on my way to work, but it's only on my way home that I am stuck at a red light right next to it.)  They have a scrolling marquee sign (not to be confused with a marquee in Britain, which it turns out is a tent) and lately they've had a little Valentine's-themed poem.  That's normal; I'm sure Valentine's is big business.

Then, a few weeks ago, I finally read the whole thing:
Valentine's is Sunday
That is part of life.
Send flowers Friday
To your girlfriend and your wife!


It makes me furious, every time I see it.  There is absolutely nothing funny about infidelity, especially the ongoing kind they're referring to.  It's betrayal of the the most heartbreaking kind, and I'm supposed to find that funny?  If they had just said "or," it would all be fine.  In the words of the kid on the Emperor's New Groove, it's a pretty crucial conjunction.

3 comments:

  1. Agree. You should totally tag that store.

    I don't remember that part of Emperor's New Groove...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Tell us where the talking llama is and we'll burn your house to the ground."
    "Don't you mean 'or'?"
    "Tell us where the talking llama is OR we'll burn your house to the ground."
    "Well, which is it? That sounds like a pretty crucial conjunction."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I find so sad is that the majority of people really DO think that's funny.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.