Thursday, February 4, 2010

Resolution: failed

So we've already deviated wildly from our weekly menu.  I knew this would happen with the surgery (which went well, by the by); I actually didn't even plan anything this week so that we could cater to the whims of the invalid.  But our best laid plans went awry last week when the power went out right at dinner time.  So we went to Wendy's.

But, we're (and by "we" I mean "I") getting back on track.  The only problem is that I'm sick of cooking.  No, not sick of cooking; I'm sick of cooking the the recipes I already make.  Even if we haven't had something in weeks, it seems like we're eating the same things over and over again.  Admittedly, we do eat a lot of waffles.  I'm putting waffles on the shelf for a few weeks.  We'll have french toast! Sour cream pancakes! Oat pancakes! Whole wheat blender pancakes!  We'll be so sick of pancakes, our very DNA will cry out for more waffles!  Or something like that.

It doesn't help that I don't prepare a lot of meat dishes.  Maybe once or twice a week.  We try to eat lots of beans for protein.  Eggs are good too.  I'm thinking of modifying this egg salad recipe (I like cilantro, but in egg salad?  I dunno...).

Any brilliant recipe suggestions?  I looked at other Serious Eats recipes, but they're mostly crazy.  Seems to be obsessed with fish, curry, and runny eggs.  I don't like my eggs even remotely wet, I don't like onions; I don't like fish. Well, I don't like most meats, really.  Chicken and beef, is basically all I'll eat.  Bits of turkey and ham, fine.  Bacon, of course.  What I really need is some sort of Boring Recipe Blog that only includes ingredients I can get at Sprawlmart.  Anything that has a note that it can be found in "(whatever ethnicity) specialty markets" is not a good idea, if for no other reason than I'll end up with tons of it left over.  It's bad enough trying to figure out uses for an entire bunch of celery, I don't want to have to find a use for that open can of coconut cream, y'know?

5 comments:

  1. Glad that everything went well! :) One of my fav places to go when our menu needs a revival is http://www.ourbestbites.com/.

    I love it. This weekend I am making the coconut chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh FYI that site uses normal ingredients. (Celery freezes great for recipes that aren't fresh, mainly salads. I buy it when it is on sale chop it up and freeze it. When I need it is ready. Nice. I even throw it into the skillet while it is still frozen so if I forget to take it out..no prob.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicken breasts sliced so you have a "pocket" then you stuff it with any kind of mix you want, I've been doing cream cheese and spinach lately. Then you cover it with a thin layer of biscuit dough (or phyllo dough, so YUMMY!) Bake at 350 30-40 minutes. pretty easy and super yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a slow cooker? I do, but rarely use it. I was determined to utilize it more many months ago and found this awesome blog: http://365daysofcrockpot.blogspot.com/. She uses normal ingredients, gives comments and rates each recipe. Seems like slow cooker recipes might be nice for you with your work schedule.

    I have other comments about meal planning, but just feel like calling you...do I have your number?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love allrecipes.com because you can serach for recipes with specific ingredients.
    Also I wouldn't rule out the cilantro in the egg salad. It's quite good.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.