Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Just Say "No"

Generally speaking, I don't have a problem saying no when I can't or don't want to do something.  Supposedly as women we have a hard time saying no because we want to make people happy and whatnot.  I want to make people happy, but I also don't want to make myself crazy.  It's all about finding the line between making other people happy and yourself happy.

Monday night, someone called and asked me to talk on Wednesday about yoga and the importance of breathing.  Just five to seven minutes she said, but I could call the Someone Else in charge if I had questions.  Someone Else sent out a mass email yesterday reminding/inviting people, and based on what it said, I was supposed to teach yoga.  So I emailed Someone Else, and sure enough, she wants me to teach some yoga in 15-20 minutes.  So, with about 24 hours to prepare (most of which is set aside for sleeping and working), I'm supposed to distill the five years or so I practiced and yoga into a half an hour.

I'm having a really hard time not being annoyed.  Talking for seven minutes about breathing is fine.  Teaching yoga is not something I really want to do tonight, but I was already committed by the time I found out what they actually wanted me to do.  So I didn't even have the opportunity to say no!  I haven't been practicing lately, and am hardly conditioned to teach.  I'm exhausted.  Fabulous Husband sleeps all morning while I'm at work, and therefore has no problem keeping me up until midnight watching TV on DVD (as though I could go to bed without finding out who cannibalized the body they found in the bear).  I, meanwhile, had to break into the emergency Dr. Pepper stash this morning, and want nothing more for tonight than to crawl into a gently warmed bed under a down blanket as fluffy as a cartoon cloud as soon as it's dark.  Alas, that's not in the cards for me.

It's frustrating.  I get home at 5:30, and will make some pancakes before I haul my moderately lame (but increasingly mobile) husband down to the church at 6:00, where we will no doubt be asked to serve in the primary, because where else would they put us? (FH really doesn't want to. I like kids, but I'm just hoping we get something with the under-eight-but-over-three crowd.)  At 7:00, he gets to tag along with me to a different church building, where I get to teach yoga with zero preparation.  Then I'll probably load the dishwasher and put away whatever laundry didn't get put away today (everything that's mine, I expect; I'm particular about how I fold my clothes), wash my hair, and pass out in bed.  It's enough to make a girl want to stay at work.

3 comments:

  1. I had a frustrating day today too, and it's not even over yet. I'm sorry, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. I hate when I volunteer for something (I do this too often) and then when reality hits me, I want to back out. I hope it when alright for you! (Or is it all right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything turned out fine. I got a phone call right before I left work, asking if we could push the appointment back to Sunday. I was SO RELIEVED. Talk about a mercy. I even had enough time to make an actual dinner before heading to enrichment. I winged my presentation, and it went fine. Good times for all.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.