Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Harry Potter and the...

I guess there are spoilers, but it's been long enough since the last book came out that if you don't know what happens, you probably don't care.  But, y'know.  Pirates ye be warned and whatnot.

I asked on Facebook the other day what everyone's favorite Harry Potter book is.  I think Azkaban won, although my sample was really too small to be predictive.  I refrained from saying my favorite, as I hadn't finished my re-read.  Having received the complete British set for my birthday (thanks Ma!) I decided to read them all, which I haven't done since the last one came out. I usually would just re-read the one preceding whatever was coming out.

Anyway, I finished Deathly Hallows last night, and I think I can say that Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favorite.  I liked Goblet of Fire less than I had before, and Order of the Phoenix more.  I wish I could say Deathly Hallows is my favorite, but any book that makes me cry that much just can't be my favorite.  (Also, I find the afterward immensely unsatisfying.)

My fabulous husband I think kind of laughs at me, but everything makes me cry.  I was reading while we were waiting in the doctor's office yesterday, and I was having a hard time not weeping when Dobby dies.  It always gets me.  All the deaths in DH upset me, even Ted Tonks.  I still get a little misty when Sirius dies, too.  The only death that doesn't really bother me is Dumbledore's.  I think part of it is because it isn't a murder.  He planned it.  I'm fine until I get to the part where Fawkes starts singing and the sound is like their grief turned into music.  That always makes me cry.  It's such a lovely, poetic, sad thing.

I think it interesting that my--and several of my friends'--favorite Harry Potter book is the only one in which Voldemort does not appear.  Significant?  Maybe.  Or maybe we appreciate that for once, Harry catches a little bit of a break.  For a little while, at least, he has some family.

So what's your favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I think Azkaban is best structured, plot and story-wise. It feels complete as its own little story to me.

    I find Dobby's death definitely the saddest, and I wasn't even that fond of Dobby. Tonks and Lupin should have got as grand a death scene as Dobby. I didn't care when Hedwig died. I love books that make me cry.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.