Monday, January 25, 2010

I'll get you next time, Gadget!

We have a little game in our house, called "Kitchen Gadgets I Don't Have."  It's actually pretty challenging, especially if you're playing the "don't have, but want" version.  I love kitchen gadgets and tools, and I'm not ashamed.  So what if I've only used my mandoline slicer three or four times?  It was super handy for those four times!

I was trying to decide what my favorite tool is the other day.  I love my medium size scoop--it makes cookies or scoops ice cream! It fills mini muffin pans perfectly!--but I think my favorite, my essential non-essential tool, is my very fine mesh sieve.  It sifts, it strains, it drains, you name it.  I can pretty much get rid of my flour sifter and colander, thanks to this little guy.  I can make things with berries (I hate seeds).  I use it to drain spinach, make my own cranberry juice, strain seeds and pulp when squeezing lemons, take the grit out of my watermelon juice when making granita, dust coffee cake with powdered sugar, sift flour, drain small amounts of pasta...I love it.

I have this one:



If you don't have one, might I suggest you consider investing?  I promise, you'll never run out of uses for it.

3 comments:

  1. hey! I have that one too. My favorite gadget that I actually don't even use is the egg separator that came with my measuring spoons. I'm just that good. But I'm impressed that they were considerate of others in the aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, tough question. I have two mesh strainers, both very nice, LOVE my juicer. I think Tarzan's favorite gadget of mine is the pasta maker, but my favorite is probably the apple slicer/corer. Wash the apple, press hard and voila, no core and all even slices. Loverly.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.