Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I don't make resolutions

As far as I can remember, I don't make New Year's resolutions.  There's no point.  You invariably give up.  And people tend to use it as an excuse to put things off.  "Oh, I'll stop [insert whatever terrible, unhealthy, dangerous thing they do] at New Year's."  Bah, I say.  Bah!  Isn't it better to make a course correction when you realize you're on the wrong track, rather than in a few weeks?

Anyway, I decided the other day that I need to be better about planning dinners, otherwise a) we end up eating a lot of breakfast for dinner, including cold cereal, 2) I wander up and down each grocery aisle, trying to think of new things to eat, and d) I don't take advantage of the grocery ads like I could.  Also, it helps me use up ingredients.  If I'm going to open a can of refried beans or buy a bunch of broccoli, it's nice to be able to use it all before it goes bad.

So I started writing a weekly menu.  I even have a magenetic menu planner/grocery list pad given to my by the good people at...Betty Crocker?  General Mills?  Some big food company.  So now the FH can see what we're having for dinner, and I've (at least somewhat) committed to it.  It helps, because if you know you're having cheesy broccoli rice soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner (this evening's selection) you can get in the mood for cheesy broccoli rice soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  It's a great system so far.  I'd really like to commit to it.  Last night we had fry bread, as previously announced, so I guess we're off to a good start.

Next up: getting more produce in our diets.  (See "buy a bunch of broccoli.")  And maybe one day, going back to the gym!  January was not a great month for our family.

4 comments:

  1. so I had cold cereal for dinner tonight.. because I know you wanted to know. And not the healthy kind either. Oops All Berry crunch or whatever it's called. And it was great.. and maybe some hummus for an appetizer. Maybe I should join on the meal planning bandwagon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds exactly like something I would eat, right down to the hummus. Although I probably would go with the original Cap'n Crunch over Oops All Berry. It's the balance of the crunch pieces and the berries that makes it work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan and I plan out meals for the week, but leave it flexible as to which night. Then we know what to shop for, and we don't get lazy and just go out to eat all the time. Having the list on the fridge is a reminder of our commitment to eat at home. Plus it keeps us focused and in control while grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do a similar thing, plan out enough meals for the enitre week but leave it flixible which night we eat what, and I've learned to schedule in a night of leftovers when we have to clean out the fridge. Thus far we've had a lot less of fuzzy green things to throw away.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.