Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What makes a Christmas gift?

My very practical parents gave us money for wedding/Christmas gifts, for which we are grateful.  If we'd had anything else to bring home, we would have run out of hands.  We had the garment bag with my dress and Fabulous Husband's fabulous suit, the suitcase with everything else, and out two "personal items" (I always stretch the definition with a very large tote) crammed with toiletries, makeup, clothes, journals, cell phone chargers, and all the other little flotsam and jetsam that doesn't fit in a suitcase.  I was carrying all of that, and FH had the thirty-pound box crammed with the bounty of an early Christmas with his family.  He got all clothes and I got all kitchen stuff.  So awesome!!

So we're picking out our own Christmas gifts from my parents, and he keeps listing practical things.  "I could get the windshield replaced," he said.  "THAT'S NOT A GIFT!" I said.  Which is not to say that gifts can't be practical--if you think about it, all my kitchen gadgets are at least kind of practical--but there's something so boring and un-Christmassy about a new windshield.  I am encouraging the idea of a new stereo for the van, with an auxiliary jack for the iPod input.  It's useful, but still slightly indulgent.  We could continue the 90s-era practice of the cassette tape converter.  "Join us in the 21st century," I told him.

I'm definitely getting a culinary torch and a big ol' bowl for caramel corn.  I want a heated towel rack, but that's more of a joint gift, since he wants it just as much as I do.  Ooh, curlers!  Quite frankly, I have no lack of things that I want.  I have pages and pages of wishlists items at Amazon, some of them with funny comments about why I want them.  There's little I need, but lots that I want.

1 comment:

  1. Ain't that the truth. That is partially why I turn up my nose when Tarzan asks for money for Christmas. So much that I want but I don't need so if 'you' buy me something I don't feel guilty and I will not spend the money on practical things like a new windshield.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.