Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cover me!

Occasionally, I'll hear a cover song that brings something new to the song.  (Glee's "Don't Stop Believing," anyone?) And even more rarely, I'll hear a cover that I actually like better than the original.  I was trying to think of all the covers I like better, but I only came up with a handful.  I'm not including covers of standards, because a) there are so many versions of the same song, 2) rarely does anyone actually know who did the original version and d) I don't feel like it. I'm only thinking about songs with a definitive "original" version.

Covers I like better:

  • "Killing Me Softly" covered by the Fugees
  • "Baker Street" covered by the Foo Fighters
  • "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" covered by Elton John (I know, I know.  It's practically a capital offense, but I respectfully point out that much of the Beatles early work was covers.)
  • "Kid A" covered by John Mayer
What covers do you like better than the original?

5 comments:

  1. HEY YA by Obadiah Parker. So much better than Outcast's version...


    clothedmuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Pinball Wizard by Elton, orginially by The Who? I go back and forth which version I like better.

    I do prefer Phil Collins' cover of "True Colors" to Cyndi Lauper's version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Elton John WAS the pinball wizard. But you're right, I can't make up my mind which version I like better.

    I've decided I like Jimmy Eat World's "Last Christmas" better than George Michael's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'll have to check that one out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like 'Don't Stop Believin'' from Glee too. My problem is that I don't usually know who did the original so I don't know who did the better cover.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.