Wednesday, October 21, 2009

And that's it for the ground beef

People who know me may be aware that I have issues with ground beef.  It kind of creeps me out.  I've eaten some lately, but I can't claim to love it.  Then just now, I read something in The Week magazine, originally in the New York Times:
 Prepackaged ground beef and hamburger patties are an amalgam of various grades of meat from multiple slaughterhouses, contain heavily treated fatty scraps and trimmings, and sometimes are contaminated with cow feces. Most meat processors do not test each batch of burger for E. coli bacteria.
Awesome.  Just awesome.  And THAT, my friends, is why I only like whole cuts of meat.  Well, whole cuts of meat, and pepperoni.

5 comments:

  1. Don't give up on ground meat forever because of that (possibly unsubstantiated) statement! (And don't mock me if I spelled that incorrectly). Seriously, is that from "The Jungle?" It's the turn of a new century these days.

    Just buy ground meat from a store that grinds it in-house, as opposed to having it shipped in. Alton Brown says you can even choose your meat, hand it to the butcher, and ask him to grind it fresh for you. Be a smart consumer, and you won't eat feces; that's what I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How often do you have occasion to say "be a smart consumer and you won't eat feces"? Because that is seriously the most specific motto I've ever heard.

    You make a good point. I just don't enjoy ground beef enough to make it worth my while, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, that was gross. What happened to the pregnant-people warning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about the regular-people warning, Can?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured the Friends quote with "ground beef" substituted for "yogurt" should have been clue enough!

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.