Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Speaking of calendars

It's 9/9/09! I love me some symmetry in the date. Plus, Beatles Rock Band releases today. And threadless.com has all their tees on sale for $9 today. Because I definitely need more t-shirts, right? I mean, I have so many opportunities to wear them.

Anyway, back to the calendar. I was looking at my desk calendar, enjoying the fact that Friday is payday. I noticed that it's also a holiday. Patriot Day. "Hmm," I thought. "Where is it Patriot Day? Canada?" My calendar includes all North American holidays, so we can enjoy Victoria Day and Mexican Independence Day (which is next Wednesday, actually). But wait. Patriot Day is followed by a little (US). Say what? There's a holiday and I didn't know about it? Don't we already have Veterans' Day for honoring our patriots?

I looked at the date again. The 11th. September 11th.

That's a holiday now? Not just a holiday, but Patriot's Day?

Now, a lot of people died and it was a terrible thing, and even if our foreign policies make us unpopular in large swaths of the world, it doesn't give people the right to hijack planes and crash them into buildings. However. A patriot is "a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion. [or] a person who regards himself or herself as a defender, esp. of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government." This doesn't really have anything to do with terrorist attacks. Those unfortunate people died terrible, unnecessary deaths, but it wasn't patriotism. They were living their lives, going about their days, in meetings and at work.

I fully support honoring the victims of the 9/11 attacks, but I think calling it Patriot Day is largely misguided. But what names are left? We already have a Memorial Day; Veterans' Day is also called Remembrance Day, although not so much in the U.S. So what do we call September 11th? Do we need to call it anything?

This is what I'm thinking about today. That, and getting my dishwasher repaired this afternoon. And getting dressed up for a party later. Will there be a GPOYW post later? Maybe.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you. And also have to say I'm glad I didn't read this post yesterday or I would have done some damage at Threadless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we need a holiday just because something horrible happened. We don't have a holiday for the Oklahoma City bombing or for Columbine.
    And yes, Patriot's Day would suggest that something patriotic or someone patriotic had made the day memorable and that clearly isn't the case.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.