Saturday, August 22, 2009

Where did all this come from?

Do you ever look around your house and think, "When did I get so much stuff?!" I do it all the time. And I can't figure out where to put it.

I blame the media, naturally. I mean, I know that the people in magazines are airbrushed within an inch of their life, don't have to put in 40 hours a week behind a desk, were genetically blessed, spend an hour in hair and makeup before having their picture taken, and don't have to pick up their own dry cleaning. I get it. But in architecture/home decor magazines, there's the same concept.

These people staged their house for photos. It's probably their second house. There is surely a room somewhere stuffed to the gills with magazines they want to clip a recipe from, books they haven't read yet, Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off one item coupons that they got in the mail, blank CD-Rs, yoga blocks, stacks of paper with financial or sentimental significance, childhood treasures, and whathaveyou. (Can you tell what sort of things are cluttering up my life?)

Yet I look at these magazines and expect my house to be that streamlined. To look unlived in. No four remotes strewn across the coffee table. No Wiimotes. No TV antenna at all, and surely not on its side in the middle of the living room for best reception. People in magazines have cable.



3 comments:

  1. AH! You're right!!! I don't feel bad, looking at the women in magazines, knowing how much prep goes into that one picture. But I look around my house and am saddened. But those staged homes don't have dogs! They don't teach school! They don't live in there at all! I will not be tricked by them again! (but maybe I will vacuum.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely - what media portrait and the reality is quite different - i like the post ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it makes you feel better, having worked in the industy I can tell you they DO in fact have rooms stuffed to the gills with the every day living stuff - they just have larger houses. Almost two houses in fact. One to be photographed and one to be lived in.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.