Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What is the international symbol for "Duh"?

I went to Mimi's last night for fried zucchini and a muffin (and a dinner salad), and I was reminded of something that happened when I was in Arizona.

We had gone to PF Changs' for lunch (and there were a crapload of people there for lunch on a Friday. Shouldn't they have been at work?!) and decided what to order and put our menus down. Our slightly odd, certainly inconsistent waiter (hello, silverware?) came over and said, "I can see by the position of your menus that you're ready to order."

It was all we could do not to laugh in his face. I mean, "Looks like you're ready to order" is one thing, but to specifically explain that position of our menus alerted him to the fact that we had made our selection seemed so, so strange. Putting your menu down is a widely recognized way of signaling that you're ready; there's no need to explain it to us.

When he came by when we were finished and asked if we were done and ready for boxes, we dearly wanted to tell him, "As you can see by the position of my chopsticks on my plate, I have finished eating." But alas, we didn't. We certainly made fun of him after he walked away, though. So all's well that ends well.

Man, I could really go for some P.F. Chang's right about now.

4 comments:

  1. This waiter probably had a rough day. Sometimes, I've heard some very random comments from waiters. I understand when you said "duh"! In the end, did you tip him well?

    Jackie at PhamFatale.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. He seemed pretty with it and just strangely over-formal.

    I didn't pay, actually. I'm sure we tipped well, even without the silverware or the water refill after the spicy appetizer sauce. And we got dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for waiters. Never having been one I can only imagine how hard it would be to have to be polite and nice to random strangers time after time espeicially when they are demanding and frequently rude.
    Not your party of course but a lot of people are mean.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.