Thursday, August 6, 2009

Unlock your blogs, people!

My last post was my 150th. Wow.

So, I'm a big fan of lurking on random strangers/vague acquaintances' blogs. It's nice to be able to pop in and see what the funny kid I had a class with in tenth grade is up to these days. (Dental school.) I usually find them linked to from blogs of mutual friends. Every now and then, though, I find ones that are locked. Grrr! Well. "By invitation only" I guess would be more accurate. The problem is, there's no "click here to e-mail the blog owner" link. So unless you have their e-mail already, you can't read it. Anyway, that takes away all the anonymity.

I guess that's the point; you're only sharing your news with people you know. But what do I care who reads it? I talk on my cell phone while I grocery shop. I like to think I add a measure of entertainment to strangers' lives. (Side note, why do people complain about people having personal conversations on their cell phone in public? For one thing, if they don't care, why do you? For another, would you be as annoyed if the other person was physically there? Probably not. And for yet another, you're missing out on some great fun. Instead of being annoyed, listen in! You might hear about how they only buy full-fat dairy products, or that the suspicious rash turned out to be nothing serious. It's good fun!)

Of course, other than what I had for dinner, I don't really get very specific about my life. Because my life is boring. So let me tell you about scones.

I made scones last night! Lemon scones, even. Really, I was looking for something to use up the buttermilk I had left over from another recipe I tried (Smitten Kitchen's birthday cake. Alas, I like my frosting much sweeter than that). So I looked up recipes on Tasty Kitchen that include buttermilk, and found one for lemon scones. Fortunately, I had a lemon that I was about to use to make granita because I can't eat an entire watermelon by myself, so I zested it first, added a splash of lemon juice to keep it fresh, and popped it in the fridge until I had some time to make the scones. This is how I decide what I cook. It becomes a crazy recipe chain. Aren't I efficient? (Except with milk. I'm always pouring out milk.)

Anyway. The scones weren't as sweet as I would have liked. Mostly because I like sugar. As in, will-eat-brown-sugar-by-the-spoonful like. Like like, even. But with some raspberry jam, they were pretty good. And then I remembered that I had some cream--from something else I made, I don't even remember what--so I whipped that up (and sweetened it, of course) and put it on top, and it was delightful! I highly recommend it. Or you can come over and have some at my house, because I made the scones snack-size, so I have like, two dozen scones sitting on my counter. Next to the so-so buttermilk biscuits I have left over from Sunday. I had a lot of extra buttermilk.

1 comment:

Be nice.