Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The price we pay for solitude

One of the things I had to give up to make living alone economically feasible was cable TV. Now, I love TV. I love weird health shows (especially surgeries) and cooking shows (my cowboy cookies recipe came from a Food Network challenge) and old TV shows (remember Nick at Night’s Block Party Summer? An entire night of Bewitched!) and cartoons (although the current cartoons are kind of lame). I watch “The American President” every dang time it comes on TNT. There was one summer where I saw every episode of Project Runway, and many of them twice. Shark Week. You name it. I love it all.


But, I gave it up. Now if I want to watch Monk I have to get it from Netflix. It’s a hard life, I assure you. And yet I was thinking about it, and even if I had the extra $40 or so a month, I wouldn’t spend it on cable. I’d take a dance class or join a gym (or the Salt Lake sports complex, which seems to have all the amenities of a gym at a fraction of the price). I’d save it towards more frequent travel, or I’d go to more concerts and plays. I’d use it to buy kitchen gadgets and books and shoes (my three greatest weaknesses). I’d buy ridiculously overpriced but very intriguing mineral makeup. (Has anyone tried that? Would you recommend it?) I’d give more money to charity and not-for-profit arts organizations. I’d buy the blue topaz ring I’ve had my eye on that is the size of a small skating rink. I’d do any number of things that isn’t watching TV. Which isn’t to say that I don’t still love and miss watching crazy diagnoses on Discovery Health. I guess there are just a lot of things I’d rather do more.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I sure do love me some Food Network and BYUTV, but I have been thinking recently what my life would be like without TV. Probably better? I guess I'm afraid to honestly answer that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like my sister!

    Stopping by to share the blog ♥ !

    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very well adjusted person.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice.